Killing Us Softly 4: Advertising’s Image of Women [Trailer] – Available on DVD

Correction: This video contains the image of Giselle Bundchen incorrectly identified as Ana Carolina Reston. An updated video is available here: http://www.y…
Video Rating: 4 / 5

Tags: , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Killing Us Softly 4: Advertising’s Image of Women [Trailer] – Available on DVD”

1. SIrcam769 says:

I agree with the message. But I don’t understand why you have to use their
    weapons against them to prove your point. I mean, she’s wearing a lot of
    makeup and come on… that crowd? You say there isn’t video processing on
    this? Really if you do this, your point becomes really invalid. You don’t
    need to trick us!

2. Ashley Sommer says:

While i post many photos of gorgeous editorials it is important to know
    that the people dont really look like that. This was a good video..
    everyone should watch.

3. Dan Lynch says:

Where exactly is the proof that this causes violence against women? The
    speaker is using a fear tactic to get people engaged. Equally as dishonest.
    I say the pot calling the kettle pot.

4. Achtuiba says:

I guess we should ban all the ancient human sculpture and paintings since
    most of them promotes something that can not be achieved?
    I seriously it’s all up to the receiver’s state of mind to decide for
    themselves.

5. blaq7427 says:

I never understood why women get a complex over media images.
    I once heard of a women being self conscious about her body because her
    Barbie doll.
    THAT RIDICULOUS

6. Matt Kamel says:

You forgot to mention abortion in the group that is dehumanized. I like
    your video.

7. Jenni Westphal says:

I hate how she presents her argument. I agree with most of her claims but
    she makes a lot of false generalizations, such as implying that all women
    and young girls feel like crap about themselves. Her argument is limited,
    her points are so broad and she jumps around and dabbles in many different
    topics to benefit her own argument. She should be more specific and
    informative instead of subjective and focused on persuading her audience.

Kilbourne also makes this situation sound very negative and hopeless which
    is not what you want to do when you want to motivate people for change! WE
    GET IT, ADS CAN BE DESTRUCTIVE, now how do fix it? She should be speaking
    optimistically and identifying some possible solutions to one of the many
    problems she rambled on about, not beating a dead horse. Maybe that’s why
    she’s been talking about this for 10 years.

8. Sammi P says:

The #1 reason why women are so self conscious!

9. annie bodnar says:

*Kate Winslet: ‘I Don’t Look Like That And I Don’t Desire To Look Like
    That’*
    via +MoveOn.org

10. Sheril Kirshenbaum says:
  11. Lea Terry says:

Killing Us Softly 4: Advertising’s Image of Women
    Cindy Crawford said “I wish I looked like Cindy Crawford”

12. Irene Sz says:

A must see

13. Emma Eeyore Åström says:

*For fun* This is just an entertaining and informative lecture on women’s
    portrayal in media. And Kilbourne has a sense of humor. :]

I only have the trailer here but the film is available at any torrent site,
    pretty much.

#womensday #womenshealth #womensrights

14. Kelline Pickett says:

*Don’t fall for the lie that perfect beauty is obtainable, ladies.* *We are
    beautiful when we are who we are.* *If you’re a teenager, embrace what you
    have and be proud of that for there’s no need to fix anything.*

15. Carey Rasmus says:

Women as used in advertising.

It **IS** a problem.

Killing Us Softly 4: Advertising’s Image of Women [Trailer] – Available on
    DVD

16. Elizabeth Flora Ross says:

As a woman, and the mom of a little girl, this was really thought-provoking
    and disturbing:

17. Jennifer Bailey says:
  18. Nando Pena says:
  19. Sarah Piller says:

I thank a father who pointed out photo shopping in newspaper ads, and why
    looking like that was not desirable. I also thank a mother who refused to
    bring home fashion magazines, because of the unrealistic images of beauty
    they portrayed. It didn’t stop me from feeling the pressure from the
    outside world, but it definitely allowed me to see myself through their
    eyes when my self-image was skewed.

20. Lacy Boggs says:

Very interesting stuff.

21. Lynette Young says:

What does advertising really do to our perception of women?

22. Ben Hibben says:
  23. Alicia Mully says:

The #1 reason why women are so self conscious!

24. Tracy Hurley says:
  25. Alex Goven says:

Let’s remind each other to stay awake,sisters.